Monday, June 14, 2010

Wildflower Show at Garland Ranch Regional Park


Saturday morning before the Main Event of Annalina's recital we drove to Carmel Valley to see the wildflower show. Before we went up to the exhibit I cautioned the kids that this would be mostly older people and that they would not like noise, etc. They did a super great job!! EVEN Carson, who didn't understand a word I said but thankfully he was content and calm! The kids enjoy things like this and this was no exception. One worker in particular spent time teaching which was great! One thing we learned about was that the bouquet Ross brought me a little over a week ago was Rattlesnake Grass! How cool is that!

As we were telling one of the workers about a yellow flower that was shaped like a cup (Annalina had asked me if it was a Buttercup) Gabriel said "I think it was a California Poppy." To which the lady confirmed it was! Ross heard something about fireweed and said "that grows after a fire in the forest" grandpa had just read him a book about what happens to the flora and fauna after a fire! Grandpa and Daddy are responsible for the kids' knowledge I don't know about these unfortunately but I am learning.

After viewing the flowers the kids played down by the creek and since the creek wasn't a convenient spot for Carson I took him walking. He just about caught a butterfly (I don't know why it didn't fly away, it obviously had enough time with chunky toddler hands after it) and I decided to get it to show the kids. Well, Carson took a step down the hill there and his face stopped him short in the GRAVEL. Needless, to say that was the end of our adventure, although he didn't cry a whole lot he was bloody and even today he looks terrible. He actually looks worse now than right after the fall!

No comments: