I really enjoyed this book even though at the end I was REALLY working hard to fight back my tears as his wife struggled through the process of his death and remembering their life together.
The things that impressed me in the book were Martha's strength and resolve to help her husband to do what he felt called to do despite the amazingly hard road it took them on. I was also impressed with Washington's tender heart to his family (extended family even). He was a very busy man but took the time to write even to young relatives about things some people might have considered trivial [see quotes below for examples] but he was so kind and gracious. The biggest thing I walked away with was the OBVIOUS hand of God on Washington and Martha Washington's life. Washington lived through so much danger and disease. It struck me as I read how many friends and family they saw die in their life on earth! So many children and young adults just didn't live long in those days and then throw into that all the war and conflict he was in! It was so apparent God preserved Washington for the leading of this fledgling country and his wife to support he so he could hold up under the stress. He would call for Martha to come and stay at times with him and she could hear the gun fire, drums, etc.
What I wish had been more emphasized in the book was their faith. Also, THIS IS NOT AN EASY READ BOOK and is NOT a novel. What I did is when the historical or relational parts of the book got to confusing to follow I just kept reading instead of trying to understand every aspect of what was being said. The purpose was not for me to get lots of history anyway but to glean from the character of the Washington's, especially from Martha, since she is a woman. Although we glean our strength and wisdom from God I believe there is growth in reading of those that walked this earth in honor and strength of character.
QUOTES FROM THE BOOK
TAKEN FROM THE WASHINGTON'S CORRESPONDENCE
AND ABIGAIL ADAMS CORRESPONDENCE
"Love is a mighty pretty thing, . . . but . . . is too dainty a food to live upon alone, and ought not to be considered farther than as a necessary ingredient for the matrimonial happiness which results from a combination of causes; none of which are greater than that the object on whom it is placed should possess good sense, good disposition, and the means of supporting you in the way you have been brought up . . . ."
Washington wrote this to to Nelly (Martha's son's daughter) because she had written to him and told him about going to a ball in Georgetown (her first ball) and "never to give herself a moment's uneasiness on account of any of them "(speaking of the men). She took pride in her lack of interest. Wise Washington wrote this letter back to her:
"Let me touch a little now on your Georgetown ball, " . . . and happy, thrice happy, for the fair who were assembled on the occasion, that there was a man to spare; for had there been 79 ladies and only 78 gentlemen, there might, in the course of the evening, have been some disorder among the caps; notwishstanding the apathy which one of the company entertains for the youth of the present day . . . . A hint here; men and women feel the same inclination to each other now that they always have done, and which they will continue to do . . . Do not, therefore, boast too soon or too strongly of your insensibility to, or resistance of, its powers. In the composition of the human frame there is a good deal of inflammable matter, however dormant it may lie for a time, and like an intimate acquaintance of yours, when the torch is put to it that which is within you may burst into a blaze;
Abigail Adams speaking of Mrs. Washington--". . . .Mrs. Washington is one of those characters who create love and esteem. A most becoming pleasantness sits upon her countenance and an unaffected deportment which renders her the object of veneration and respect . . . . I found myself much more deeply impressed than I ever did before their Majesties of Britain . . . "
Abigail Adams speaking of Mrs. Washington--"She is plain in her dress, but that plainness is the best of every art, . . . She is in mourning. Her hair is white, her teeth are beautiful, her person is rather short than otherwise, hardly so large as my ladyship, and if I was to speak sincerely, I think she is a much better figure. Her manners are modest and unassuming, dignified and feminine, not the tincture of hauteur about her.. . . Thus you have an account of my first appearance."
No comments:
Post a Comment