Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Annalina the Advocate

The other day we were in a unique situation with only one car working and a tow truck on the way, a sick dog who wasn't drinking and needed to go to the vet (had a previous day SPRAYED diahrea around the laundry room), a sleeping kid who was very tired, and 2 kids that needed to be picked up from school. I stayed home with the sleeping child (AHHHH) and Babe tackled the others. He was a little late picking up the kids from school. Later the lady waiting with them told me what Annalina said. Annalina was standing with the lady telling her life story. Mr. Tucker came by and asked what kids were left (of course ours!) and he said "call the parents". The lady explained that she had just seen Brian a few minutes ago at an intersection and that he must be doing something. The lady started ushering Annalina to the office to call and Annalina (having heard all this) said "My Daddy would not forget to pick me up!" The lady thought it was pretty funny. I've seen Annalina challenge a 10 year old that she felt was picking on Gabriel!

 The story the lady told me of Annalina reminded me of the time when we lived in England and we were invited over to a home where the husband was Sicilian (he was hilarious) and the wife British (graduated from Oxford with a degree in languages. She was reserved in public but one on one was quietly humerous). As they were getting the table ready the husband asked me if I wanted ice and Gabriel (knowing that he was addressing me) thought he said "you are not NICE". Gabriel snapped back "My Mommy is a VERY nice lady!!!" The man started laughing understanding the misunderstanding and saidin his thick Sicilian accent "Yes, your Mom is a very nice lady!" I know kids shouldn't snap at adults but it sure did me a lot of good!! That meal was a lot of fun. They had 4 kids and lived in a postage stamp. We were crammed around the table with kids making noise, talking, etc. It was wonderful.

On the way home from school Annalina was telling us that her teacher picked her up and pretended to hang her on a hook (which she thought was funny). I asked her why and shesaid  because she thought the class would think it was funny. I asked her if she herself had laughed and she said "No, Mrs. Jung likes her class quiet". Hmm, logic would say it probably would have been ok to laugh in that situation! 

Mrs. Jung did however on the 3rd day of school promote Annalina to the 1st grade because I told her how yesterday at breakfast Annalina came to the table and said to Gabriel "We get to go back again today Gabriel!!" Mrs. Jung just loved that. On my way out of the office I could hear her telling the others that Annalina is the youngest in the class.

No comments: