I am having trouble getting pictures up on my blog but can get video up so here is Ross wrestling. I got pictures of Gabriel. Hopefully next tournament I can get some up of him. Although, this was the last tournament of this type for the season. Through the summer the boys will be working on Freestyle and Grecco Roman wrestling which is different. Grecco Roman (I believe) you can't use your legs.
The boys main coach is Sieracki (I think that is how it is spelled). It is an honor for the boys to be taught under him as he and his brother are well known names in the wrestling world. Both are 10 time Department of Defense Champions. Next week there is no practice because it's spring break and their coach goes to Washington State to put on a wrestling camp.
The coach REALLY enjoys having all three boys. He keeps bugging Babe about having the boys here for high school because he told Babe he wants a strong team to take state and obviously thinks they have what it takes. At practice last night he asked again when Brian thought we'd be back to Colorado. He's SERIOUS and Babe says the coach openly hopes one of the twins is a boy (we already know one is a girl). Which we are THRILLED about! There needs to be girls to cheer them on!
The brother of the coach was filling in for him at the tournament Saturday was shocked by Ross. After the first match the coaches brother took Ross and showed him the Half Nelson on Brian. The next match was the one above where he won again. He used the move he had JUST learned over and over again! Fast learner. The coaches brother turned to Brian during one of the matches and said "you have to be kidding me?" The head coach had told Babe Ross was a natural athlete and later he said to Brian "didn't I tell you?"
I only video'd 2 matches. In the video you can tell Ross doesn't understand everything that was going on. He keeps looking over for advice on what to do next otherwise with more experience he would have had the one kid pinned. The first video they stopped the match because the score was 19 to 2 and I guess Ross won on a technical fall? because he was so far ahead. The next match was the gold/silver match and obviously Ross lost to being pinned. Earlier a kid in the tournament came up to Ross and told him he hoped he won which was nice. Ross didn't even know why they were lifting up his hand and would come off the mat and ask who won. Pretty funny. He took winning and losing really well.
Ross won the silver in his FIRST tournament! After the tournament he went and handed it to Gabriel because he wanted Gabriel to have it. Gabriel VERY KINDLY said "you earned that Ross you need to keep it . . . your uncles are going to want to see it." That statement really gets me. Gabriel knows wrestling was a big deal for his uncles. Ross was crushed Gabriel wouldn't take it. When we got home Babe and I talked to Ross and said both boys had done the right thing. Ross was being EXTREMELY generous with his brother and Gabriel was an older brother that understood the value of doing his own work. Ross understood after that. Almost always when Ross prays he thanks God for wrestling and sometimes rock climbing (have yet to post about that). I also want to post the influence of especially rock climbing on his academics.
Gabriel although he lost his matches did a good job. If he was not a strong boy it would have been a different story. These kids had wrestled for years. He also has the potential along with Ross to be a very good wrestler. It is going to take time and lots of practice. One of the kids that beat him had a mohawk and was quite intimidating in his looks but came to one of Gabriel's later matches to cheer him on which was really nice.
Carson is also in wrestling but is not ready for tournaments. We don't think he understands the point yet. There is no rush. Babe takes ALL the boys to wrestling practice and Babe told me that last night when the boys were doing push ups Jedidiah put his hands on the mat with his butt up in the air. One of the wrestling parents got a kick out of that. Jedidiah was terrified the first few matches on Saturday. Daddy and Mommy were yelling and yelling and one of his brothers was fighting with someone! Finally, he realized all seemed well with us and was ok with it.
The wrestling world people are SOOOO nice and casual. Very different atmosphere than the ballet moms in Monterey! I am not around the wrestling people as much as Babe is but the contact I did have with them was positive. Babe really enjoys the time he spends with the boys and the people which is great. Wrestling is a mid-western thing.
Here is a note from my mother-in-law concerning the videos. She was a wrestling mom when Babe and his brothers were growing up and she understands the intenseness of a match!
Wow, that sure brings back memories! Abigail, you sounded just like me when I would be cheering on our boys. I would be very nervous before a meet....I'm sure I was more anxious than the boys ever were. During the matches, I felt like I was pushing out the wall behind me while cheering them on! I'd be squirming and yelling. Thanks so much. That was great. Keep them coming. Love it!!
Love,
Ma Lysne
No comments:
Post a Comment