Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Thanksgiving Traditions

OK, Carson needs to learn about sanitary hands.



 I think it is so fun that traditions are forming. We move so much, which is wonderfully fun, but doesn't always make it as easy for traditions. This is our third year of making packages for neighbors . . .  Pilgrim hat cookies (idea from my sister in laws websight Theo's Creative Corner) and some type of snack mix. This year I changed the snack mix to Pumpkin Pie Chex and I added chocolate chips to the recipe! YUM! We make bags of snack mix and a plate of goodies for our neighbors and the kids deliver them. Annalina wrote on the labels "Thankful for good neighbors." We really do have good neighbors.
It's a fun project that the kids really enjoy and we get to share with the neighbors. This year our neighbor next door saw them coming and turned on his Christmas lights for the first time as they came to deliver the goodies. I thought that was cool. We're going to miss them. They are putting their house up for sale in January and they're retiring.

Another tradition is we read certain books. The primary book the kids think of at Thanksgiving is Voyage of Freedom by David Gay. It's about 150 pages long and gives a more realistic picture of what it was like on the voyage. It was not just a jaunt across the ocean. The book is historical fiction but I think it adds to their understanding of the event and teaches good principles. Next year I would like to read some  also of Of Plymouth Plantation. We'll see.

No comments: