Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Wisdom from Proverbs

We are still reading the Proverbs of the day at breakfast. Here are some verses that I have read lately that I appreciated and I can really learn from.

Proverbs 16:21 ". . . the sweetness of the lips increaseth learning."

Here's what the book The Remarkable Wisdom of Solomon by Henry Morris had to say about that . . .
"Verse 21 speaks of 'the sweetness of his lips' as conducive to learning, a concept containing excellent advice for those who are, or who desire to be, teachers. 'Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones' (verse 24)."

As a parent sometimes it is so easy to get frustrated (at least for me) when instructing and teaching. This verse is one I need to remember and be sharpened on.

Proverbs 14:26 "In the fear of the Lord is strong confidence: and his children shall have a place of refuge."

I need to remember that I can live confidently when I know that I am doing what the Lord has required and asked of me. There is confidence that comes in fulfilling God's expectations and not bogged down in what every person off the street expects of our lives. I think I could preach a sermon on this! The world is ruthless but in Christ we have refuge.



No comments: