Thursday, January 14, 2010

Are you willing . . .

Are you willing . . .
by Henry Van Dyke

To stoop down and consider the needs
and desires of little children;

To remember the weakness and loneliness
of people who are growing old;

To stop asking how much your friends love you,
and ask yourself whether you love them enough;

To bear in mind the things that other people
have to bear in their hearts;

To trim your lamp so that it will give more light
and less smoke,
and carry it in front so that your shadow will fall behind you;

To make a grave for your ugly thoughts
and a garden for your kindly feeling,
with the gate open?

Are you willing to do these things for a day?

Then you can keep Christmas . . .

After all, Christmas-living is the best kind of Christmas-giving.

_________________________________________________________________

Wow, when I read this poem it REALLY spoke to me and some of those are great challenges to me. It came from a book called If You're Missing Baby Jesus (A True Story that Embraces the Spirit of Chrismas) by Jean Gietzen. I had wanted to read it to the kids this Christmas and I didn't get it done. I still might just read it to them even though Christmas is done.


No comments: